Total Pageviews

Monday, August 1, 2011

Paper Beaked Whale

Cramped for time.  I used my fingers to shape this Baird's Beaked Whale.

When I was surfing the net today I came across a photo of a whale head that looked more like a dolphin than a whale.  The man standing next to the whale made me realize how huge this dolphin-looking whale was. (the link is different than the photo i saw today, but this was the closest I could find.  The photo I saw was much bloodier.)

When I was a kid, perusing my whale books, I was never much interested in the whales that looked like dolphins.  I wanted to see "whales".  

I always knew that the Internet changed things, but today I felt the full scope of how positive it can be.  When I saw the photo of a cut off head of this dolphin-looking whale, I was interested in this whale for the first time. 

When I first began tearing away at the paper, I was thinking Humpback, or at least some other baleen whale, but then I got the picture of the head of this beaked whale in my head and went with that.

Anyway......here it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment